This page documents the equipment I'm taking on the road. The fieldwork scenario presents a few main challenges which in turn heavily influences the choice of equipment. Firstly I need to be able to carry everything on a motorbike so no heavy wheelie bags. Secondly, the major tools of my fieldwork are electronic devices (such as smartphones) and the entire point of the exercise is to collect data. Thirdly, I'm expecting it to be wet. Potentially typhoon-wet and remember, I'll be on a motorbike. With this in mind, some of these choices might be interesting to others, and it'll also be fascinating to look back and see how wrong I got it!
- Shad zulupack SW55 waterproof backpack: pricey but badass
- Gondwana quick dry trousers: zip-off convert to shorts, lots of pockets
- Blizzard waterproof trouser covers
- Blizzard waterproof jacket
- High vis vest (for riding)
- Boots (for riding and hiking), shorts, t-shirts, week supply of socks and underwear
- Gigabyte P34G-v2 laptop: beefy 15-inch workhorse with excellent cooling, maintainable chassis
- Lenovo X200: aging 12-inch laptop for participants to use/borrow for transcriptions etc
- Apple iPad and waterproof zip-lock bag: More for recreational use
- 120GB external SSD drive: data backup drive
- Power adapters + US-style power cord for laptop
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000: mirrorless, excellent video, audio input, WiFi and so on
- 64GB SD: space is a worry for video more than anything else
- Accessory shoe shotgun microphone: fairly cheapish unit off eBay
- Padded camera bag: holds charger, shotgun mic, and probably phones too, waterproof top-cover
- Weifeng tripod: Video version, sturdy, surprisingly high quality
- Phone earbuds: The sort with microphones, useful since the Doogee speakers are rubbish
- Phone lapel mics: Borrowed from Uni. Unclear how useful.
- LG Nexus 5: My phone, will have data plan. Freshly replaced battery.
- 3 x Doogee Dagger D550 Android phones: no-name Chinese brand, large, 16GB of onboard storage
- Holux RCV-3000 Bluetooth GPS receiver
- Waterproof ziplock bags
- Half a dozen USB micro cables
- Orico 11-port USB charger: 1A and 2.4A sockets, for rapid phone and iPad charging
- Homemade mains and solar charger: beefy lithium batteries, four 1A ports, AC/solar power in
- Homemade 10W foldable solar panel for charger: decidedly not waterproof...